Skip to main content

Now that you’ve made the choice to consider graduate school, you may be wondering about the different types of financial aid available to you. Through a combination of scholarships, graduate assistantships, and loans, graduate students at John Carroll will find a variety of options to best fit their needs.

Financial aid is not just for undergraduate students. Working with our Student Enrollment and Financial Services Office (SEFS) to determine the best path for you and for your future can make graduate school a reality. We understand that every student has a unique story and set of circumstances. Financing your education is a huge decision and we are here to help.

Helpful information

Students receiving financial aid funded by the State government or by the Federal government (Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, TEACH, Federal Work Study, Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Stafford Loan, and Federal PLUS Loan), as well as all John Carroll University funding, must conform to the University’s Standards of Academic Progress. These guidelines encourage students to successfully complete courses for which aid is received.

These financial aid standards of academic progress are separate from, and in addition to, academic standards required by the University for continued enrollment. In order to receive financial aid at John Carroll University, a student must be enrolled, be making satisfactory academic progress toward graduation, and remain in good academic standing. All students receiving financial aid will be reviewed at the end of each semester.

How to Access Your Tuition Statement

When a Tuition Statement is generated for you, an email will be sent to your JCU email and any Authorized Users on your “My Student Account”. You will need to create your Authorized User Accounts for any person you wish to have access to your Tuition Statement and make payments towards your account.

  • Student access
    • Log into your Student Profile and click on ‘My Student Account’ to:
      • Accept Financial Responsibility Statement
      • View account activity and billing statements
      • Set up a Refunds profile (direct deposit)
      • Set up Authorized Users
      • Enroll in a payment plan, optional
  • Parent access
    • Log in here Authorized User login:
      • As an Authorized User, your student can authorize you to receive email notifications regarding their student’s account, see account activity, make payments, and set up a Payment Plan.
    • If you are utilizing our payment plan, we strongly encourage an authorized user to enroll rather than the student.

How to Create an Authorized User?


  • Log into your Student Profile
  • Click “Student Financial Services”
  • Click “My Student Account”
  • On the right-hand side of the screen; click the “Authorized Users” tab
  • Enter the mail address of a parent or person you wish to have access to your financial account
    • Please make sure this is a valid email address and not a business email address (Example emails to use Gmail, yahoo, aol, etc.)

Authorized User:

  • You will get two emails
    • The First email states that you have been granted access
    • The second email gives temporary password and link to our site
  • Once you log in, you will be asked to enter your name and information and reset your password.
  • You will always log in through our website. Parents cannot access this system through their own Banner Web. You have to log in here.

How to Create an Electronic Refund Profile?


  • Log into your Student Profile
  • Click “Student Financial Services”
  • Click “My Student Account”
  • On the right-hand side of the screen; click “Electronic Refunds” tab
  • Enter your bank account information

Office of Admission

Office of Registrar

Types of Aid and Eligibility

Based on federal regulations, eligibility for aid is determined as:

Student Type Dependent Undergraduate Independent Undergraduate
Academic year loan limit Freshman: $5,500
Sophomore: $6,500
Jr/Senior: $7,500
Freshman: $9,500
Sophomore: $10,500
Jr/Senior: $12,500
Lifetime loan limit (per program) $31,000 $57,500
Student Type Graduate/
Teacher Certification^ Post-Baccalaureate^
Academic year loan limit $20,500 $5,500/
Undergraduate work: $2,625/
Graduate work: $5,500/$12,500
Lifetime loan Limit (per program) $138,500 $5,500/
$2,625/ $12,500

*Includes amounts borrowed at the undergraduate level^Based on dependency status. Only eligible for one year (1) of aid, provided total aid eligibility at the undergraduate level has not been reached.Stafford loan maximum eligibility for Teacher Certification is $12,500 for the year. Due to federal statute, eligibility is based on fifth-year undergraduate loan limits even though students are required to have a bachelor’s degree and the program is administered by the Graduate School.

Level Undergradute Graduate/Professional Teacher Certification Post-Baccalaureate Preparatory Coursework Not Eligible for Aid(includes all Post Masters programs)
JCU Program All programs leading to:
All programs leading to:
Early Childhood Generalist;
All Endorsements;
All Initial Teacher Licensures
Post-Bac in BSOB;
Post-Bac in CAS
All Certificate programs;
All non-degree seeking, non-matriculated or transient students;
workshops and professional development/continuing education;
Teacher Leader endorsement:Principal Licensure;
Mental Health Counseling Licensure;
Post Master's in School Psychology

Applying for Aid

A FAFSA application is required each year in order to obtain a more current snapshot of your financial situation. The new FAFSA form is available to file each year on October 1. The Department of Education sends the information including an EFC, to each school listed on the FAFSA (JCU School Code 003050). From this information, John Carroll University creates a financial aid award and determines your loan eligibility.

  1. Create your FSA ID if you do not already have one. You can create your ID at any time. Your ID will be used as an electronic signature for you and your parents on the FAFSA application every year.
  2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You will complete the FAFSA using two year’s prior federal tax return.
  3. Review your Student Aid Report (SAR). After you submit your FAFSA you will receive a SAR either sent to your email address (if you listed it on your application) or your home address. Please review this document for errors. If you notice any errors, you can make the corrections online or Student Enrollment and Financial Services can make them for you.
  4. Wait for your John Carroll financial aid award. Beginning in late spring, we will mail out financial aid awards to students. Our award will detail the types of aid you are receiving, how much John Carroll will cost and your choices of loans and other borrowing and payment options. Our staff is available for questions in understanding your award.

Accept your award

  1. Go online to BannerWeb and enter “Secure Area.”
  2. Log in using your Student/Banner ID and Pin number.
  3. Access the Student Financial Services tab and select “My Financial Aid Award.”
  4. In order to access your award, you must accept “Terms and Conditions.” Once accepted you will have access to “Award and Messages.”
    • Choose Decline or Accept for each fund. If you wish to accept an amount other than the offered amount, enter the lesser amount in the “Accept Partial Amount” field (you are entering the amount for the entire academic year).

Summer Aid

Summer financial aid may be available. Students enrolling for summer should complete the JCU Summer Aid Application along with the 2018-2019 FAFSA and the 2019-2020 FAFSA. Student Enrollment and Financial Services will begin making summer awards in April. The summer aid application along with more detailed summer aid information can be found here.

Graduate Tuition and Fees

2019-2020 Graduate School Tuition per Credit Hour

Boler College of Business: $930

College of Arts & Sciences: $755

  • To see a more detailed breakdown of the 2019-2020 Cost of Attendance for Graduate Students, click here.

2018-2019 Graduate School Tuition per Credit Hour

Boler College of Business: $900

College of Arts & Sciences: $730

  • To see a more detailed breakdown of the 2018-2019 Cost of Attendance for Graduate Students, click here.

The number of credit hours you are registered for determines your enrollment status. Click here to learn more.