The NSF S-STEM MIRRORS program will provide scholarships to transfer students who are pursuing bachelor’s degrees in STEM disciplines. For transfer students starting Fall 2020 and Fall 2021, the program will support students with two years of funding.
Program components for transfer students include:
- Enhanced, STEM-specific activities integrated into JCU’s transfer student orientation;
- A summer bridge program, preparing students for advanced STEM coursework, imparting key skills for academic success, and developing connections with students, staff, and faculty;
- A cohort advising course to introduce scholars to the JCU community and reinforce relevant skills at each stage of their academic development;
- An Entering Science and an Entering Research course to scaffold the experience of MIRRORS scholars as they prepare for and participate in academic and research experiences at JCU and beyond;
- Peer-Led Team Learning (PLTL) activities complementing key STEM courses;
- Competitive funds to support summer research and attendance at scientific meetings.
To be eligible, students must:
- be an admitted transfer student of JCU;
- have substantial demonstrated financial need as determined by the FAFSA, with preference given to Pell-eligible students;
- be a U.S. Citizen;
- have a minimum 3.0 overall GPA;
- have a current FAFSA on file with JCU;
- intend to major in one of the following STEM disciplines:
Biology, Cell and Molecular Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Data Science, Engineering Physics, Environmental Science, Mathematics, Physics;
- complete the MIRRORS program application.
We are seeking peer mentors to work with students for John Carroll University’s NSF S-STEM MIRRORS Scholarship program.
Peer mentors will guide students as they navigate social and academic life on campus during their time at JCU, which may include:
- participating in special events such as the Summer Bridge Program;
- taking part in STEM-specific activities at the last student orientation session;
- participating in STEM-specific activities during Streak Week at the end of August;
- leading Peer-Led Team Learning sessions with MIRRORS scholars for regularly scheduled sessions during fall and spring semesters (up to four times per month);
- attending cohort advising sessions and STEM activities;
- sharing their own experiences;
- offering guidance on study skills, time management, semester and career path planning, and life beyond the classroom.
Mentors will be paid a fixed hourly rate and in bi-weekly installments throughout the course of the semester.
- STEM majors at JCU include all degree programs offered through the following departments: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Computer Science, and Physics;
- Enrolled full time as a declared STEM major (for junior and senior applicants) or making sufficient progress toward a STEM major (for sophomore applicants);
- Spent a minimum of 2 semesters as a full-time student at JCU;
- Available to work August 2020 – May 2021 on all mandatory dates (which may include the Summer Bridge Program, late summer orientations and Streak Week) and 1-2 hours weekly during fall and spring semesters;
- 3.0 or higher overall and STEM GPA before and during employment;
- Active engagement in student activities;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Energetic and enjoy working with people.
- Experience in STEM-related internships and research;
- First-generation and underrepresented minority students are strongly encouraged to apply.
DEADLINE to apply: April 22, 2020