The Campus Colleague Program Description:
The Campus Colleague Program matches an existing employee who has at least six months of service at John Carroll University, with a new employee for a period of 3 months.
The goal of the program is two-fold:
• To welcome new employees and provide them with a point of contact for general inquiries regarding day-to-day aspects of working at the University.
• To help new employees acclimate to the culture at John Carroll University and reduce any uncertainty that comes along with a new job.
Why have a Campus Colleague Program?
Assigning a colleague to a new employee provides them with a valuable resource, aids in early engagement, and helps affirm their decision to join the University.
Campus Colleague Requirements
• Make a point to meet the new employee within his/her first week.
• Confirm that the new employee has your correct contact information.
• Take the new employee to lunch within his/her first few weeks ($5 Friday if possible).
• Follow up with the new employee on a weekly basis. This can include meeting for lunch, brief chats, accompanying them to a meeting, etc.
• Attend the coffee segment of the New-Hire Engagement Program (this may occasionally be outside the 3 month period).
Campus Colleague Guidelines
• Your contact information will be provided to the new employee by HR.
• Help the new employee integrate with the University in regards to culture, norms, and expectations.
• Make introductions and help establish networks.
• Establish rapport and provide open, positive communication, respecting confidentiality.
• You may provide continued support beyond the initial 3 months if desired by both you and the new employee.
A Campus Colleague is NOT intended to be a mentor or a manager. A formal mentor is
typically someone who is more involved with the overall development of an individual
personally and professionally. A manager is responsible for the employee’s job
performance and development and has the ability to resolve work-related issues.
Who Benefits from the Campus Colleague Program?
• The New Employee – knowledge, support, networking, smoother acclimation
• The Campus Colleague – engagement, leadership, networking
• The University – employee retention, engagement, communication
* Should you be interested in volunteering, please click here to register to be a campus colleague.
Click here to connect with JCU Staff Council and provide your feedback.