The JCUPD is recognized as a police department under the Ohio Revised Code (ORC 1713.50), as established by the John Carroll University Board of Directors. This designation gives officers the same legal authority as any municipal police officer. University police officers work to provide a safe and secure environment for all members of the John Carroll community by offering coverage 24 hours/day, 365 days/year. Functions of the JCUPD include:
- Response to criminal, medical, fire, and other emergencies and alarms.
- Report and investigate criminal and student conduct violations.
- Respond to calls for service.
- Proactively patrol University buildings, parking lots, and grounds.
- Liaise with local public safety agencies.
- Perform safety escorts.
- Provide information and assistance to students, parents, staff, and visitors.
The Parking Office coordinates all university parking functions including:
- Provide information, assistance, and direction to anyone parking on campus.
- Issue parking permits to students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
- Enforce parking rules and regulations.
- Coordinate parking services for university events.
The JCUPD dispatch operations are coordinated and staffed by JCUPD personnel. The dispatch center operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The dispatch center is located in the Belvoir parking lot gatehouse. Dispatcher duties include:
- Receiving and dispatching calls for University Police.
- Monitor and dispatch university fire alarms.
- Monitor and dispatch university security alarms.
- Monitor facility systems after-hours.
- Dispatch shuttle buses.
- Assist with parking, special events, and general information.
- Control access to the campus.
The John Carroll University Police Department provides other services to the university community including:
- Supervising the student EMS.
- Developing and exercising the University Emergency Management Plan.
- Operating the University Lost and Found.
- Fingerprinting services for student internship and licensure.
- Provide crime awareness and prevention programs.
- University event planning and support.
The John Carroll University Police Department provides this service which allows students, faculty and staff the ability to have their personal background checks done as required to participate in certain programs. These programs include education majors who will be observing, pre-student teaching, student teaching in the classroom at an area school district. Students who are volunteering through the Center for Service and Social Action and faculty and staff who will be working with minors on campus.
The cost to have your background check done is $35.00 for the state check, (BCI&I), $35.00 for the national check, (FBI) or $70.00 for both. Payment can be made by cash or check at the Cashier's Office in Rodman Hall. Each work site or volunteer location may have different requirements. Be sure to check with your site to obtain the appropriate reason codes necessary for completing the form. The attached form must be completed and presented along with a valid state driver’s license, state identification card or passport. The form should be completed electronically by typing in required information and selecting the appropriate reason code from the drop down menu provided. Once completed, the form can be printed from this page. Individuals without a completed form or valid identification will not be processed.
- To minimize exposer and maintain a safe environment JCUPD will not be accepting walk ins for background checks.
- Appointments must be made in advance.
- Appointments can be made Monday through Thursday between 9:00 am and 1:00 pm.
- To schedule an appointment for a background check contact Sgt Matt Goffos at 216-397-4401. The John Carroll Police Department is located in room #14 of the DJ Lombardo Student Center.
Click here to access the Background Check form.
The John Carroll University Police Department provides a full range of services and programs. Some of these services are also featured on our Crime Prevention or Personal Safety pages.
Read below for some courtesy services JCUPD offers. If you have any questions on any of these services or programs, please contact us.
24-Hour Foot/Bike/Vehicle Patrols
Our officers run on three eight-hour shifts to ensure that the university is protected 24 hours a day. With the addition of bike patrols in the fall of 2004, officers are able to quickly arrive at the scene of an incident to better serve the university community. If you have an emergency or problem, call JCUPD Dispatch 24-hours a day at 216.397.1234.
24-Hour University Escorts
The John Carroll University Police Department also operate a 24-hour university escort service. If at any point you feel uncomfortable walking to anywhere on campus from a location on campus, call extension 1234 and someone will escort you.
24-Hour Vehicle Assistance
If you have vehicle problems on campus and need assistance, please phone JCUPD at extension 1234. We offer 24-hour jump starts for dead batteries as well as air inflation of flat tires. We will also unlock your car should you be locked out.
Annual Crime Statistics
The John Carroll University Police Department is responsible for producing Annual Crime Statistics as well as issuing daily logs of criminal activities and reports. Click here to view annual crime statistics from 2011-present.
Crime Prevention and Safety Tactics
In the event of a campus emergency, it is essential that you understand your role in these incidents and how to properly handle them. Some emergencies do require an evacuation, and you should be familiar with where to go if a campus evacuation is necessary. Please view all of the links below from the Emergency Response Guide, and keep a copy of the “Building/Area Evacuation” page in your room, office, a notebook/binder, or briefcase.