Empowering you to become a better teacher
The TRS Certificate in Theological Education (CTE) is designed to fit the particular needs of teachers in Catholic high schools. The course of studies builds on the U.S. Catholic Bishops high-school curriculum framework, allowing students to explore both the content of coursework they might be expected to teach and also pedagogical strategies and approaches effective with adolescents and young adults.
You will read classic texts from the tradition, discuss ideas with other teachers, create new lesson plans, and develop practical projects that you can take directly into the classroom. A flexible distance-learning model allows you to participate in once-a-week classes on campus or online.
- John Carroll’s distinguished faculty in Theology & Religious Studies offers a solid foundation in the Catholic theological tradition combined with an interreligious openness characteristic of the diverse students we all teach.
- Program combines theological rigor and practical pedagogy, with assignments and projects designed for implementation in the classroom.
- Certificate complements catechist preparation in the Diocese of Cleveland by providing more in-depth formation.
- All courses taken toward the Certificate (15 credit hours) can also be applied directly to the M.A. Degree in Theology & Religious Studies.
- Participants choose whether to attend class at John Carroll or participate remotely through video conference. If distance is an issue, the Certificate can be completed entirely online.
- Scholarships available for teachers and other religious educators, up to one-third off of tuition.