The John Carroll University Board of Directors has renewed the contract of Rev. Robert L. Niehoff, S.J., as president of the University. The Board unanimously voted in May to extend Father Niehoff’s term through June 2020. “Father Niehoff has demonstrated tremendous leadership,” says David W. Short ’81, Board chair. “In particular, the Board appreciates how he has enhanced the focus on the John Carroll student experience—ensuring that it prepares graduates to be 21st century leaders in the Jesuit tradition of being ‘men and women for others.’ Father Niehoff has led the way in strengthening JCU’s fiscal management and the University has built strong relationships with the city, the region, and the world.” Niehoff began his tenure at JCU in 2005 and is the University’s 24th president. “I am grateful to the Board and honored to continue to serve the John Carroll community,” says Father Niehoff. “I strive to fulfill the University’s mission by seeking the best opportunities that enable our students to innovate and make a positive difference. The energy of our talented faculty and staff is inspiring, as are the achievements of JCU alumni in Ohio and around the globe.” Highlights of Father Niehoff’s presidency include:
Contact: Tonya Strong-Charles | Executive Director of Media Relations | 216.397.1958 or email@example.com
- Consistently high U.S. News & World Report rankings, including the latest results in which John Carroll was rated – for the 25th consecutive year – among the top 10 universities in the Midwest that grant master’s degrees. JCU ranks 7th in the 2014 rankings.
- New core curriculum development and academic programs exploring collaboration among departments.
- Partnerships focused on healthcare initiatives with the Cleveland Clinic and Ohio University that strengthen JCU’s undergraduate Pre-Health Professions Program.
- Presidential Award “Finalist” recognition for the President’s Higher Education 2013 Community Service Honor Roll, the highest federal recognition a college or university can receive for its commitment to service and civic engagement.
- Establishing a more diverse and inclusive community, including the appointment of JCU’s first-ever Assistant Provost for Diversity.
- Targeted transformative campus improvement projects: modernization of Murphy Hall, construction of a new track and field, and the Hamlin Quad restoration.
- The introduction of men’s and women’s varsity lacrosse programs. The men’s team experienced a winning inaugural season. Women’s varsity lacrosse will debut in the 2014-15 academic year.
- The successful launch, in 2013, of the $100 million Forever Carroll Campaign, which is progressing well with more than $74 million raised to date.