Posting Policy and Procedures
This policy has been designed to ensure that John Carroll University students, faculty, and staff have equal access to common posting areas in order to promote events and activities, to avoid violations of fire and safety codes, to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations, and to preserve the aesthetic quality of the campus.
Posting on University property is a privilege, and therefore, the University reserves the right to regulate the posting and distribution of all publicity. General guidelines for all members of the community are included in this policy with additional instructions outlined for student groups and non-University groups.
Location – No flyers are permitted on any walls, windows, doors, stairwells, elevators, garbage cans, columns, light posts, signs, statues, artwork or ornamental surfaces on campus. Posting is not permitted on glass (except where noted), mirrors, masonry walls, and painted surfaces (including doors). There may be some exceptions to this in residence halls. Chalk postings should be on the sidewalk only and not on any buildings or trash cans.
Content – No libelous material shall be posted. Material, including chalking, must abide by all of other University policies, including but not limited to the Student Code of Conduct, the Interpersonal Violence Policy, the Hate Free Policy, and the Student Organization Political and Campaign Activities Policy. No flyers are allowed to advertise drink specials, events where the primary purpose is drinking, or other activities that appear to promote irresponsible or illegal alcohol or drug use.
GENERAL POSTING INSTRUCTIONS
Student groups and non-University groups
- All promotional materials and advertisements must have the “approved for posting” notice displayed on each promotional piece prior to posting. All posters/flyers from student organizations or outside groups must be approved in advance by the Office of Student Engagement (OSE). Students should bring the original flyer to OSE for approval before making copies. Chalking is only available to student groups, and requires approval in advance. Please complete the OSE Request Form with the desired text, design, and locations attached, and submit to OSE for approval. Groups must provide their own chalk.
- The following information must be included on all postings: the name of the event; sponsoring organization; contact information including name and e-mail address; and event time, place, and admission cost, if applicable.
- Postings are not permitted that advertise alcoholic drink specials, events where the primary purpose is drinking, or other activities that appear to promote irresponsible or illegal alcohol use.
- Postings that promote messages that are contrary to the Jesuit and Catholic character and mission of the university are not permitted.
- All postings will be removed by the date stamped on the posting or within three (3) business days following the event date.
- On-campus departments and organizations should provide six (6) copies for common area bulletin boards (only one per bulletin board) and eleven (11) copies for information centers in residence halls (17 total if desiring to post in both locations). Additional posting may also be permitted on departmental bulletin boards with permission of the appropriate department.
- People from outside of the university community should bring one (1) copy for posting on the central bulletin board reserved for outside agencies, space permitting.
- Postings sponsored by a University department do not require content approval from the Office of Student Engagement prior to posting, but must follow all other posting guidelines and university policies, including compliance with the University’s guidelines for political and campaign activity at JCU implemented by the University Office of Government Relations.
- Departments may post information on the inside glass within their departments with permission of the chairs. Postings of signage on the exterior grounds and/or buildings can only be done with the permission of the Facilities Office (216-397-4314). *Note: Stanchions may be available through the Facilities Scheduling Office (216-397-1500) for special events on campus. Faculty and departments may obtain approved bulletin/posting board/bars for their walls adjacent to their doors through the Facilities Office at a nominal cost.
- Flyers are permitted to be posted on faculty and staff members’ doors with permission of that employee, using blue tape to hang the sign.
GUIDELINES FOR SPECIFIC TYPES OF PUBLICITY
FLYERS AND SMALL POSTERS
- All flyers need to be approved and stamped for approval, including a removal date, by the Office of Student Engagement (OSE), located in Suite 201 of the D. J. Lombardo Student Center (above the bookstore).
- **Original flyers must be brought to the Office of Student Engagement (OSE) for stamping and approval prior to an organization making multiple copies for posting.
- Except where noted, flyers are not permitted on any walls, windows, doors, stairwells, garbage cans or columns on campus.
- Approved flyers may be posted on the six (6) established bulletin boards in any building on campus. Approved flyers also may be posted on the eleven (11) residence hall information centers with permission.
- No solicitation is permitted under doors in any residence hall or buildings on campus.
- The OSE can post flyers on a weekly basis for external groups on the one designated central bulletin board during the academic year, space permitting.
- Only Residence Life personnel are allowed to post flyers in the common areas of the residence halls. Copies may be placed in the hall office mailboxes located in the Office of Residence Life for staff to distribute.
- There are six (6) bulletin boards used for posting flyers for JCU departments and organizations. The bulletin boards are located in: the Student Center Atrium, across from student mailboxes; in the Student Center next to the elevator across from Residence Life; in the Student Center from the IM gym; in the Administration Building – on the 2nd floor, across from Catholic Studies; on the first floor of the Boler College of Business; and on the East wing first floor of the Dolan Science Center,cross from the vending machines.
ATRIUM WINDOW PAINTING
- Atrium window painting in the D. J. Lombardo Student Center is reserved for major, campus-wide events sponsored by JCU entities only. Events with the primary purpose of raising money are prohibited.
- Only one event may be publicized on the windows at a time unless permission is given by the Office of Student Engagement (OSE).
- Each group must provide their own paint (use water based poster paint only). Paint must be removed by the sponsoring group within 24 hours of the event.
- If the cleaning company cleans the window, your organization or department will be charged a fee that ranges from $100 – $400.
- To get permission for this form of publicity, please complete the office of Student Engagement Publicity Request Form, with the text and design attached, and submit to the OSE for approval. After your request is approved, your information will be noted in the Atrium Window Calendar located in the OSE.
- Banners may only be hung on the wires of the perimeter of the Atrium across from the windows of the J. Lombardo Student Center and from the horizontal rail at the top of the steps. Signs may not be hung on any other wall or stairway handrail.
- Banners may be hung for a period of one week after stamped for approval by the Office of Student Engagement (OSE). They will be removed after seven days or following the day of an advertised event.
- Banners may not exceed three (3) feet wide by six (6) feet long in size and should be hung at a height of at least eight feet from the floor.
- Exceptions may be made in the size, location and hanging duration of signs for special campus events (e.g. Homecoming/ Family Weekend, Greek Week, etc.) with the approval of OSE.
- All banners are approved and stamped for approval, including a removal date, by the Office of Student Engagement, located in Suite 201 of the D. J. Lombardo Student Center (above the bookstore).
- This form of publicity is available for registered student groups or departments to promote an organizational event or meeting.
- Chalkings should be on the sidewalk only and not on any buildings or trash cans.
- Groups must provide their own chalk.
- To get permission for this form of publicity, please complete the Office of Student Engagement Publicity Request Form, with the desired text, design, and location attached, and submit to OSE for approval.
- Floor publicity can only be displayed in the D.J. Lombardo Student Center on the two sets of stairs from the Schott Dining Hall level to the Atrium and from the Atrium to the Intramural Gym level.
- Publicity can only be posted on the front-facing portion of the steps, not the top of the steps. Blue painter’s tape must be used to secure the publicity.
- Floor posting is limited to only registered and recognized JCU student organizations. Only two (2) organizations can have publicity on the steps, each for up to 48 hours. After the 48 hours, publicity must be removed by the sponsoring student organization.
- To get permission for this form of publicity, please complete the Office of Student Engagement Publicity Request Form, with the text and design attached, and submit to the OSE for approval. After your request is approved, it will be entered in the Floor Publicity Calendar.
- Publicity staking and/or signs can be used occasionally to promote events or activities.
- If the staking includes data, the reference information for the data should be included.
- To get permission for this form of publicity, please complete the Office of Student Engagement Publicity Request Form, with the text, design and location attached, and submit to the OSE for approval.
- Napkin holders can be placed in the Schott Dining Hall. There are 200 napkin holders in the Dining Hall and adjacent areas.
- The format for the napkin holder publicity is a rectangle that is 6 inches X 4 inches. Groups will only be able to use one side of the napkin holders.
- Napkin Holders will be reserved on a first-come, first-served basis and groups may only use one side of the holder.
- To get permission for this form of publicity, please complete the Office of Student Engagement Publicity Request Form, with the text, design and location attached, and submit to the OSE for approval. The text document must be attached. After your request is approved, it will be entered in the Napkin Holder Calendar.
- Only one group at a time is permitted to place publicity on napkin holders and they may stay up for one week
- Student organizations who wish to post beyond the guidelines written in this policy, must submit a written request to the OSE for approval.
- University departments who wish to post beyond the guidelines written in this policy should speak with the Office of Student Engagement, who will help with the communication to the campus departments the need to be involved.
SANCTIONS AND QUESTIONS
Failure to abide by these guidelines will result in the removal of flyers/posters/signs or chalking and may result in loss of posting privileges. Charges/fines may be imposed for the removal of flyers/posters/signs that have expired, are posted in unacceptable locations, or require repair of surfaces due to damage during removal. Charges/fines may also be imposed for removal of chalk in inappropriate locations, or chalking that does not comply with the requirements of this policy or another University policy, including the Student Code of Conduct and the Student Political and Campaign Activities Policy. Any non-JCU person or group found posting around campus without following the posting procedures and guidelines may be charged with trespassing.
The Office of Student Engagement (OSE) will monitor and maintain the bulletin boards, doors, and windows in the Student Center and clean off dated or unapproved flyers or banners on a weekly basis.
The Auxiliary Services and Housekeeping departments will monitor unauthorized postings in administrative common buildings except where noted above.
Faculty, staff and students are encouraged to take down dated flyers and bring unapproved or questionable flyers or chalking to the attention of the OSE staff as needed. The office staff will follow up with any sanctions that are needed for policy violations.
General policy questions as well as questions regarding postings by students and non-University groups should be directed to OSE at 216-397-4288 or email@example.com.