Skip to main content

M.Ed. with Initial Licensure

JCU provides two different pathways for post-baccalaureate students interested in pursuing a teaching license: the School-Based M.Ed. or the Professional Teacher M.Ed.

Both programs are designed for individuals who hold a liberal arts degree (B.A. or B.S.) or equivalent and wish to obtain a teaching license while completing an M.Ed. degree.

Pathway 1: School-Based M.Ed.

  • Full-time student status
  • Intensive 11-month program
  • One summer and one full academic year
  • Immersion in partner local school for internship  

Pathway 2: Professional Teacher M.Ed.

  • Full or part time student status
  • Program completion within five years
  • Field experiences in diverse settings throughout program
  • Two-academic semesters in clinical teaching during final year of program

Learn More

To learn more about the M.Ed. Initial Licensure programs, see below and visit John Carroll’s Office of Graduate Studies website.

Dr. Lisa Shoaf
Telephone: (216) 397-1709

Please review our policies regarding the admission process for Graduate Studies in the College of Arts and Sciences. Contact the Office of Graduate Studies if you have any questions.

To apply online, please visit our Graduate Studies application management portal.