April 19 is a very important day in the history of John Carroll University. On that day in 1886, Fr. Richard Gilmour, bishop of the Cleveland diocese, and Fr. Henry Behrens, S.J., superior of the Buffalo Jesuit Mission, signed the formal agreement to establish a Jesuit college in Cleveland. Merely 5 months later, St. Ignatius College opened its doors and accepted students to its first classes.
130 years later and we are still educating men and women for others in the Jesuit tradition. We all have stories from our time at Carroll and today is a day we celebrate those memories and toast to many more amazing years to come for JCU.
Happy Founders’ Day!