Skip to main content

Substance Use Disorders Counseling Certificate

The John Carroll University Substance Use Disorders Counseling Certificate program prepares you to become license eligible as either a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor (LCDC) or a Licensed Independent Chemical Dependency Counselor (LICDC), depending on prior academic work. The program is open to current undergraduate students or any student with an associate’s, bachelor’s, or master’s degree.

45-Year Tradition of Educating Counseling Students

Your courses are taught by practicing counselors from the greater Cleveland area, allowing you to build your network and learn directly from professionals in the field. Take advantage of our established connections at agencies and private practices, and pursue coveted internship placements and jobs.

SUDC is a growing field that directly benefits the communities you live and work in. The LCDC and LICDC credentials are highly valued by employers, especially given the rise of the U.S. Opioid Epidemic. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects 19% growth in employment for Ohio substance use and behavioral disorder counselors from 2014-2024.

You are required to take five courses, which can be taken up to two at a time. The five courses can be completed in as little as three semesters. The field experience component (CG 418/518) includes 220 hours of paid or supervised internship hours, which fulfills part of the State of Ohio’s 2,000 required hours for license eligibility.

  • CG 414/514 Addiction Knowledge
  • CG 415/515 Treatment Knowledge
  • CG 416/516 Service Coordination & Documentation
  • CG 417/517 Group & Individual Counseling for Substance Use Disorders
  • CG 418/518 Field Experience

Courses may be taken in pairs; for example, 414/514 and 415/515 can be taken at the same time, pending class availability.

If you are seeking credit for the courses, you will pay the University tuition rate. If you are not seeking credit, you will pay the corresponding continuing education rate. For more information on tuition and financial aid, contact Student Enrollment and Financial Services.