To be considered eligible for a Kerner Scholar, a student must meet all of the following criteria:
- be a second semester Junior (at least 70 hours completed);
- have been accepted as a major by the Department of History;
- attend the university on a full-time basis (at least 12 hours per semester) in the year of the award;
- complete at least one upper-division History course each semester in the year of the award;
- have achieved a cumulative grade-point average of 3.5 and no less than a 3.5 in History courses;
- complete the one page statement referred to below.
- the Kerner Scholarship applies to a student's tuition. Students who have some combination of tuition exchange and scholarships may not be eligible, or may see an award adjusted so that it doesn't exceed tuition costs, subject to confirmation from the Office of Financial Aid.
Applicants must submit an official application by April 1, 2022.
On or about April 15, 2022, the department chair will announce the Kerner Scholars.
Applications are available from the secretary of the History Department — or, download an application here: Rev. Howard J. Kerner Scholarship Application.
History Does Pay!