What you should do
- If you receive a bomb threat by phone, listen carefully and write down everything that is said, starting with the exact time of the call.
- Keep the caller talking as long as possible and ask the following:
a.) Ask the caller to identify him/herself.
b.) Where is the bomb located?
c.) When will the bomb go off?
d.) What type of bomb is it?
e.) What does the bomb look like?
f.) Why was the bomb planted?
- Determine caller characteristics
d.) Voice characteristics (calm, nervous, excited, laughing)
- Listen for background noises such as other voices, traffic, airplanes, trains, machinery, music, etc.
- Call John Carroll police dispatch at 216.397.1234 immediately after finishing the call.
a.) Give the dispatcher your name, phone extension, and room number.
b.) Tell the dispatcher that you received a bomb threat and give a basic description of the nature of the call.
c.) If safe to do so, stay in the area so that you can meet with the responding officer(s).
What will happen
- The dispatcher will notify John Carroll police and the University Heights police.
- John Carroll police and University Heights police will confer and determine an appropriate course of action, based on known information.
- After speaking with the person who took the call, University officials and University Heights police will decide what further action should be taken, including possible evacuation.
Click here to download the pdf.
Important Phone Numbers
- Emergency: 911
- Dispatch: 216.397.1234
- JCUEMS Dispatch: 216.397.1234
- JCUPD Main Office: 216.397.1615
- JCUPD Chief: 216.397.1974
- JCUPD Sergeant: 216.397.4401
- Tip Line: 216.397.1515