Skip to main content

Cashier’s Office Mission Statement

The Mission of the Cashier’s Office is to safeguard the University’s assets while providing courteous, timely and professional customer service to our students and colleagues.

Cashier’s Office Hours:

Mon-Thurs: 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. – Rodman Hall 129
Main Cashier Line: 216.397.4494

John Brautigan, Finance Manager,

Amy Dietzel, Cashier and Student Accounts,

Roberta Roth, Cashier and Student Accounts,

Special events may alter our hours.

Perkins Repayment

As of September 2017, the Federal Perkins Loan Program has expired. No new Perkins Loans can be awarded to students beyond the 2017-2018 academic year. Students will receive information about repayment of Perkins Loans at the time they graduate or are no longer enrolled at least half-time.

The Federal Perkins Loan is a low-interest rate loan made to qualifying John Carroll University students. John Carroll is the holder of your loan. The interest rate is 5 percent and the repayment term is 10 years.

You must begin to repay your loan once you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time enrollment status. You are allowed a grace period before beginning repayment. If your loan is newly activated (entering the repayment cycle), you have nine months before interest begins to accrue on your loan and 12 months before your first payment is due.

The terms of your promissory note provide for an assortment of benefits. You must, however, provide proper documentation to be eligible for these benefits.

Deferments and cancellations must have the original signatures of the certifying official and, in most cases, the institution’s seal or stamp. The appropriate forms are available at

Please return the form directly to JCU at:

John Carroll University
Attn: Perkins Loans
1 John Carroll Blvd
University Heights, OH 44118

If needed, contact John Brautigan in the Perkins Loan office at 216.397.1737.

Tax Credits & 1098T

1098-T and Tax Credits

Electronic Delivery Option –  When a student logs into their billing portal for the first time a pop-up will appear regarding Electronic Delivery option for the 1098-T. If a student selects “accept consent,” their 1098-T will be uploaded to the billing portal. If a student selects “I do not consent,” a paper copy will be mailed to their permanent address and uploaded the billing portal. This pop up will appear every log-in until a selection is made. To make changes to this selection students should contact the cashier’s office at 216-397-4494.

To access your 1098-T:

  • Student access
    • Log into your Student Profile and click on ‘Student Financial Services’ and then ‘My Student Account’ to:
      • View 1098-T Statement
  • Parent access

Regarding the 1098T Form:

New legislation requires that John Carroll University reports payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses (QTRE) in Box 1 on IRS Form 1098-T, rather than reporting the amount billed in Box 2.  Scholarships and Grants are reported in Box 5. We do not provide duplicates of Form 1098-T.  Students can sign into their account to obtain a copy.

Taxpayers can elect an American Opportunity Tax Credit(formerly named Hope Scholarhip) or a Lifetime Learning Tax Credit for eligible education expenses. The American Opportunity Tax Credit is available to eligible students in their first and second years of college. Students beyond their first two years of college may be eligible to claim the Lifetime Learning Tax Credit. The issues affecting computation of these tax credits are extremely complex and will vary significantly by individual taxpayer. Consequently, John Carroll is not able to provide tax advice. John Carroll University provides the information prescribed tax information on IRS Form 1098T. We recommend you opt for the electronic delivery option, above. Electronic delivery also allows you to print copies as needed.

The Internal Revenue Service’s helpline telephone number is 800.829.1040. 

Information regarding the use of the tax credit is also available on JCU’s helpline at 216-397-4477.

The American Opportunity Tax Credit and the Lifetime Learning Tax Credit are claimed on an individual’s tax return on IRS Form 8863 Education Credits. If the current year’s form is not available on our site, please check at

What is new in the American Opportunity Tax Credit?

The term “qualified tuition and related expenses” has been expanded to include expenditures for “course materials.” For this purpose, the term “course materials” means books, supplies, and equipment needed for a course of study whether or not the materials are purchased from the educational institution as a condition of enrollment or attendance. Save your textbook receipts to claim your tax credit.

For more information from the IRS, click here.

Employer Reimbursement Program

The Employer Reimbursement Program (ERP) is open to part-time students only. The student must be eligible to participate in their employer’s tuition reimbursement program.

It is offered for fall and spring semesters only. At time of enrollment in this program, the student must complete the application form, pay an application fee of $10, and provide us with a letter from the employer stating the terms of the company’s tuition reimbursement policy and student’s current authorization to participate in it.

The above items must be submitted together. Enrollment in this program closes two weeks after each semester begins.

To download the application form, click here.

Cashier’s FAQ

Maybe you are new to John Carroll or just never had the need to perform a certain task on campus. This page will help guide you through the services offered by Student Enrollment and Financial Services.

Click on the keyword below that most closely relates to your question topic. It will take you to the most likely answer or choices of answers as they relate to the bursar’s office. Please remember these topics may also be addressed in a different context by Student Enrollment and Financial Services, Payroll, Registrar, Graduation, Graduate school, etc.

1098T – Tax Credit

1098T forms are provided each January to students enrolled during the prior calendar year. This form is needed to claim a tax credit under the American Opportunity or Lifetime Learning Tax Credit.


Two cash dispensing machines are located across campus. Cash withdrawals and account transfers can be made in the Schott Atrium of the D.J. Lombardo Student Center or on the ground floor of the Administration Building.


Tuition and fees are due prior to attending class. Bills are emailed to the student. If you have not received a statement, please contact us at 216.397.4641 and one will be emailed or faxed to you.

Cash Check

Checks may be cashed in the Student Service Center (Rodman Hall 129) in the amount of $25 per day for students and $50 per day for employees. You must present a valid John Carroll University identification card to cash a check. ATM machines are located in the Schott Atrium of the D.J. Lombardo Student Center and the ground level of the Administration Building.

Carroll Card, ID Card

The Carroll Card is the official University identification card for students and employees. Contact 216.397.4961 or visit the Carroll Card website for detailed information.

Catholic Religious Order

Members of Catholic religious orders and local Catholic school teachers may be eligible for a tuition discount. Click here for more information.


To contact the Cashier’s Office, please dial 216.397.4494.

Credit Card

Although the University does not process credit card payments directly, MasterCard, Visa, and Discover payments can be made through your student account on line. Click here.

Due Date – Tuition

Tuition and fees are due prior to attending class. Click here for a semester-by-semester listing of due dates.

Employer Reimbursement Program

The Employer Reimbursement Program allows part-time students with employer tuition benefits to pay 33 percent of the semester’s tuition by the published due date and the remainder four weeks after final exams. 

Holds, Registration, and Graduation

An unpaid student account will carry a hold. The hold prevents the student from incurring more debt by precluding registration for additional semesters. Transcripts and grades will be held for any unpaid balance on the student account. An unpaid balance will prohibit a student from graduating or receiving a diploma.


Perkins and Stafford Loans are need-based financial assistance and are awarded by Student Enrollment & Financial Services.

If you have been awarded the Perkins loan, you must complete the application, truth-in-lending statement and the appropriate areas of the promissory note and return to SEFS per their instructions.

If you have been awarded the Stafford loan, you must apply for the loan. Follow the instructions provided by Student Enrollment and Financial Services. You need to have your loan approved and disbursed by the start of the semester.

To obtain information on PLUS, alternative, and other loan products, please contact Student Enrollment and Financial Services.


Mail payment for tuition and fees to:

John Carroll University Cashier’s Office
1 John Carroll Carroll Boulevard
University Heights, Ohio 44118

Please include the student name and identification number on your check. For tuition due dates and other payment information, click here.


Student accounts with credit balances are reviewed each week for refunding purposes beginning the first week of the semester. Refund resulting from a check payment will be released after three (3) weeks. Students should review their Title IV permissions in Banner Web. These permissions instruct the University to either hold or refund the excess funds on their student account.

How to Set Up Direct Deposit

The Student will sign into their Student Profile, select the Student Financial Services tab, and click on “My Student Account.” Once billing portal has opened click on “electronic refund” tab and then enter in your bank account information.

Please Note: When making an ACH payment, you will have the option to set up that account as a refund account. If you check that box it will override your previous refund account.

Tuition Benefits

Employees may earn tuition benefits for themselves and their immediate family members. Details on these benefits are in the Employee Handbook published by the Office of Human Resources.

View Account

The student account can be accessed, with proper credentials, from Banner Web.


Dropping a class or withdrawing entirely from the University may result in tuition charges. Click here for course withdrawal schedules by academic term.

Work Study

Federal College Work Study (FCWS) is awarded by Student Enrollment and Financial Aid. This part of your financial aid award will not appear on your student account statement and should notbe deducted from your semester’s tuition bill. Payroll checks will be issued for hours worked.

Students pay will be direct deposited to a bank account. Direct deposit students’ pay stubs are directed to their Student Profile account.

For more information, click here to visit Student Enrollment and Financial Aid On-Campus Job Site.