Earning college credit before you graduate from high school is a benefit, possibly allowing you to earn your undergraduate degree in less time or giving you the option to double major, study abroad, or explore different subjects throughout your college experience.
Specific benefits for John Carroll CCP participants:
- Eligible high school students may earn college credit at no cost to students or families in courses taught by John Carroll University faculty.
- All CCP students are assigned an advisor to assist them with scheduling and topics related to student success.
- All CCP students have access to the same student support services provided to fully matriculated JCU students.
- CCP students can take their courses with other JCU students and benefit from the array of experiences JCU students bring to our classrooms.
- Students can select from a list of approved CCP courses.
- Example Academic Pathways at JCU have been identified for CCP students seeking to take courses that meet degree requirements in bachelor degree programs.
This is a new program, so you may have many questions – please consult the Ohio Department of Education website for a list of Frequently Asked Questions.
Please note, your 30-hour credit limit begins in the summer prior to the start of the academic year. For example, if you register for six hours in the summer and 14 hours in the fall, you will only have 10 hours remaining for the spring semester. (See FAQ item #15)
Students may take any JCU course we offer provided they have the prerequisites and meet our suggested minimum curriculum requirements. Class seats must also be available at time of registration for CCP students; no forces will be done. See the Ohio Board of Education website for subject limitations for funding. Our course schedules can be found on our website along with course descriptions.
- 3.2 or higher cumulative GPA.
- Minimum test scores: ACT-21, SAT-1000 (old), 1080 (new) (Math and Critical Reading). ACT or SAT scores are required, we DO NOT accept any other tests and we DO NOT offer placement tests for participation in CCP.
- Submit Ohio Board of Education Letter of Intent to Participate Form by April 1.
- Submit completed JCU CCP application including required documentation. The application can be found here.
- Complete Authorization to Participate Form (once application is submitted). This form can be found here.
- High school transcript and test scores must be sent to the Office of Enrollment by April 1 or November 1.
All fields contained in the application are MANDATORY, applications will NOT be reviewed if any fields are left blank.
- Public high school students must notify their school counselor by April 1 of their intent to participate in College Credit Plus.
- Non-public high school and homeschool students must submit paperwork to the Ohio Department of Education showing their intent to participate by April 1. This intent to participate form and steps to apply for funding can be found at Ohio Department of Education website. The cost may be subsidized by funds set aside by the Ohio General Assembly in each biennium and awarded on a first come, first-served basis. In order to receive this funding, the student must provide the state with the Application for Funding form and a copy of the letter of acceptance from the university. Nonpublic and home-schooled students will be notified by the state if their request for funding is approved. John Carroll University will need a copy of this funding letter before course registration.
- Course enrollment consideration may be limited depending on the academic background of the individual student. Please see recommended high school curriculum for suggested requirements.
Current or previous John Carroll CCP students wishing to return for an additional year of coursework must speak with their advisor to complete any necessary paperwork. This should be completed by April 1.
We will begin to review spring CCP applications in mid-November and registration for spring courses will take place in mid-December. We will begin to review fall CCP applications in June and registration will take place in mid-July. Summer CCP applications will be reviewed beginning in late April.
- April 1: Notify your school counselor if you intend to participate in College Credit Plus and submit Letter of Intent to Participate Form. After April 1, you will need permission from your school district superintendent to participate.
- April 1/November 1: Submit John Carroll University CCP application.
- June /July or December/January (date TBD): attend a mandatory student orientation, advising, and registration program. Parents will be invited to attend.
Visiting (Transient) Students
College students attending another institution having a grade-point average of C (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) or better and eligible to return to their own colleges or university may be admitted as transient students. Visiting students must download, print, complete, and submit a Transient Student Admission Application. A transcript of previously taken college course work may be requested at the time of registration to verify good academic standing at the home institution.
You must submit a copy of your current college ID card and you will be able to register once our priority registration has ended.
Non-Degree Seeking Students
Undergraduate Non-degree seeking students, that is, those students who have not earned a Bachelor’s degree, and do not wish to take courses to toward a degree must submit this Non-Degree form. Your student account statement will be created upon registration and will be emailed to you with payment instructions and deadlines. Non-degree seeking student registration begins after JCU priority registration has ended.