Skip to main content

This page provides a repository for all University policies.

Policies pertaining solely to students are posted here and here.

Human Resources Policies

Human Resources’ Policy page links to policies pertaining to employment, compensation, benefits, leaves & accommodations, communication, conduct, and technology.  The Human Resources’ Policy page also lists some broader university policies that they have reviewed, including policies on copyright, University vehicles, alcohol and drug testing, contract approvals, signature declarations.  

Other Policies Linked at the HR Policies site




University Administrative Policies

Space Policy

Please address questions about this policy to the Associate Vice President of Facilities.

This policy shall promote accountability and stewardship by the Users of University SPACE.  Users of SPACE may provide input into the use of SPACE; however, the University Space Committee is the final decision-making authority.

All SPACE is property of the University and is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws inclusive of fire codes, regulations, and rules. If a conflict arises between this Policy and federal, state, or local laws, then the applicable laws shall govern.  

All SPACE is subject to assignment, reassignment, and redevelopment to meet the overall needs and best interest of the University and the members of the University community. This includes but is not limited to all academic SPACES, administrative SPACES (inclusive of office and classroom), residence halls, and auxiliary facilities. Long-range planning for optimum use of these valuable, essential University assets is a continuing process.

  1. Delegation and reallocation of SPACE is necessary in order to sustain the physical plant and support the University’s Strategic Plan and priorities.
  2. SPACE is a limited resource and has intrinsic value; SPACE must be managed for effective and productive use in the same manner as monetary assets, personnel, and equipment.
  3. SPACE assignments and decisions for improvements or investments in SPACE shall be aligned not only with the University’s Mission and core values (including holistic care for the person), Strategic Plan, and established priorities but also with available resources.

The University SPACE Committee has the right to delegate use and stewardship of SPACE to other entities, as it deems acceptable, and can reassign responsibilities as necessary.  It is the expectation that these stewards establish guidelines and procedures for the use of SPACE in keeping with this SPACE policy. The University maintains a SPACE inventory.  Classification and allocation of SPACE, although not completely comprehensive, is described in Appendix A.  The names and responsibilities of these stewards may be amended as needed from time to time by the University SPACE Committee and serve here to further describe this policy.

Utilization of learning SPACE will be determined in pursuit of innovative teaching and University Learning Goals across the entire student experience. Utilization of all SPACE will be determined in pursuit of optimum allocation, utilization, and operation and strive for the maximum benefit of available resources with consideration for individuals affected.

Use, assignment, and scheduling of SPACE shall be compatible with SPACE type (as the SPACE is designed, operated, and defined by HEGIS codes) for the health, safety, welfare, and maximum benefit of the University Community.

SPACE usage and assignments shall promote fiscal responsibility and University sustainability by considering the short and long-term costs attributed to SPACE.

SPACE will be allocated and assigned to specific users.  SPACE can be allocated or assigned to groups or individuals on a short term/temporary basis or for longer periods of time.

Specific procedures and guidelines for the use of SPACE shall be the responsibility of the designated stewards of University SPACE and as approved by the University Space Committee.

Only the University Space Committee may authorize a change to the use type of a SPACE (change to the HEGIS code category) or approve major reconfigurations of a SPACE.

Faculty and staff members may generally only occupy one office SPACE on campus regardless of multiple responsibilities assigned or operating in multiple capacities on campus.

The contents of SPACE, including furnishings and equipment, are covered by separate policies.

Click here for the full policy document.




University Educational Policies

Auditing (effective August 26, 2019)

Students may elect to audit a course for enrichment purposes or as preparation for advanced study.  An Audit course does not fulfill degree requirements; course credit is not awarded.  For registration and billing purposes, Audit credit hours are included in a student’s 12-18 credit flat tuition rate.  An Audit course is recorded on the transcript with a grade of AD unless the auditor fails to meet attendance and/or class expectations, which may result in a grade of AW.  Tuition is charged at the published rate.

Students register for a course as “Audit” by submitting a Course Audit request form to Enrollment Services, Rodman 205/206.  The form requires approvals from the academic advisor and instructor of the course to be audited.  The auditor is required to attend regularly and should discuss class expectations with the instructor prior to enrolling.  The deadline to change from credit to Audit status is by the end of Add/Drop week.

Individuals who are not currently enrolled full-time at the University should contact the Office of the Provost for more information on course audit availability and guidelines.

Bulletin of Entry

Students are held to the degree and curricular requirements outlined in the Bulletin in effect at the time of matriculation to the University. Readmitted students follow the Bulletin in force at the time of return.

Changes in major requirements that are the result of amended or discontinued course offerings or in response to external certification or accreditation bodies will be communicated and resolved by the respective department chair.

Course Attempt

Students may attempt to take a course twice at the University.  In the case of a course repeat, the first attempt grade must be a C- or lower, including Withdrawal.  Requests to repeat a course must be submitted through an academic petition. The highest graded attempt will be factored into the grade point average.  Students receive credit once when repeating a course, and all attempts remain on the transcript. In addition, only coursework repeated at John Carroll impacts the grade point average.   

Requests to take a course for a third time will only be considered in serious, extenuating circumstances and will be reviewed by the academic advisor, the chair of the department in which the repeat course was taught, and the assistant dean of the College of Arts and Sciences or Boler School of Business.  In cases of a third attempt, the first and highest graded attempts will be factored into the grade point average. Students are encouraged to consult with their advisor and the Office of Financial Aid before registering for a course repeat.

Excused Absences

A student who must miss a scheduled class meeting may be granted an excused absence at the discretion of the instructor.  An excused absence entitles the student to make up any required activity that took place on the day of the absence.  The student is still responsible, however, for any material covered during the class period that was missed.  Whenever possible, requests for excused absences should be made by the student in advance; moreover, they should be infrequent as well as reasonable in terms of the grounds, necessity and duration.  Grounds could include illness, accident, serious emergency, or the observance of a religious holiday that prevents the student from attending class.

Documentation supporting a student request for an excused absence should be submitted directly to the Office of Academic Advising, for students in the College of Arts and Sciences, or to the Boler Dean’s Office, for students in the Boler School of Business.  After verifying the student’s documentation, the Advising or Boler Dean’s Office will communicate the request to the faculty member(s) who retains the discretion to grant the excused absence.  Documentation to request official notification and accommodation on the basis of a disability should be directed to Student Accessibility Services.  

Grade Exclusion

Grade Exclusion is intended to help students in their first year of enrollment at the University recover from unsuccessful coursework specifically related to their academic major.  Courses taken to fulfill Core, minor, and elective credit are not eligible under this policy.  Students who received a C- or below in courses required for their intended major, including major support courses, taken during the first two semesters of enrollment, are eligible to petition for Exclusion.  A successful Academic Petition for Exclusion allows a student to remove the deficient grade or grades from their cumulative GPA.  A student who makes this choice may not continue in the academic major for which they requested Exclusion or a major requiring Excluded coursework.  If a student elects to return to the discontinued major, Excluded course grades will be reapplied toward the degree. 

A petition for Exclusion will be reviewed by the chair of the relevant academic department and the Assistant Dean for the College of Arts and Sciences or the Boler School of Business.  The petition must be submitted before the start of the third term of enrollment at the University.  Courses for which Exclusion has been granted remain listed on the student’s permanent record (transcript) with the designation EX.  Grades and credit hours of Excluded courses no longer apply toward the degree.

Degree Completion Time Limit

All degree requirements must be completed within 10 years of the date of matriculation as a degree-seeking student at John Carroll University. Credit completed 10 years previous to (re)matriculation will be reviewed for acceptability and applicability toward the degree.

Grade Change Time Limit

Grade changes occur when a grade was calculated or assigned in error; an Incomplete converts to a final grade; or, if appropriate, as a corrective outcome in the grade appeals process.  Grades may not be changed as a means to accept and reassess additional work or performance after final grades have been submitted and the course concluded.  No grade may be changed after one semester following the term the course was offered:  Fall grade changes must be processed by the end of the spring semester; spring and summer grade changes by the end of the fall semester. Further information regarding the submission of a grade change request is available on the Office of the Registrar’s webpage.

Grading System

B grade: Good.  3 quality points per credit hour.

Addition of a D- grade.

Removal of FA; X; HP; and P grades.

Incomplete Grades (effective August 26, 2019)

Policy Name: Incomplete Grades

  • New University Policy

A student who is unable to complete final assignments in light of serious, documented medical or extenuating circumstances (e.g. incapacitating illness, injury, accident, or death of an immediate family member) may ask the instructor for an Incomplete grade through an academic petition.  Incomplete grades are normally granted when a student is currently earning a passing grade and has completed the majority of the work at the time of the Incomplete request, and the withdrawal deadline has passed. Fall and spring semester requests should be submitted by the end of Reading Day, or by Monday of the last week of classes for summer.  An Incomplete may not be requested after Final grades are due, unless there are verifiable extenuating circumstances.

To start the Incomplete request process, the student must submit an academic petition.  A separate petition is required for each request. The student may be required to submit documentation at the instructor’s request to the Office of the Academic Advising, for the College of Arts and Sciences, or to the Boler College of Business Dean’s Office.  The respective office will confirm receipt of the supporting documentation with the students’ instructors. Only in exceptional circumstances will the University grant an Incomplete not initiated by the student. Instructors may wish to consult with the respective assistant dean of their college in instances of student incapacity.  

The assignment of an Incomplete is solely at the discretion of the instructor, who will indicate the terms for course completion in the academic petition.  Those terms include a list of all outstanding assignments, a deadline date (if different from the standard one-month submission due date for Incomplete grades), and relevant logistical information (communication preferences and instructions for the submission of make-up work).  

All Incomplete work must be submitted to the instructor within one month following the last normal examination date of the semester in which the grade is incurred or the grade of I converts to an F.  If the precipitating circumstances behind the initial Incomplete request continue, an extension may be granted with supporting documentation to the appropriate assistant dean. Instructors should follow the University’s grade change procedures when changing an Incomplete grade.   

Mid-Term Grades (effective spring semester 2019)

Mid-term grades are given to all undergraduate students at the midpoint of the fall and spring semesters.  Midterm grades provide students with timely feedback on their academic progress, allowing for meaningful advising conversations, earlier academic intervention, informed decision-making on possible withdrawal, and encouragement to those performing well.  These grades are not part of the permanent record and will not be used to determine enrollment status or eligibility for athletics or financial aid.

Posthumous Degrees (effective August 26, 2019)

The University may award a Posthumous degree as recognition of a student’s progress toward degree completion.  

A Posthumous degree may be conferred to a student in the final semester of enrollment whose untimely death prevents degree completion.  Latin honors will not be awarded. The student must have been in good academic and disciplinary standing and enrolled at the University or on an approved leave of absence at the time of death.  Family members or other interested parties may initiate a request for Posthumous degree consideration by contacting the Office of the Provost. A family member or designee may request to receive the student’s diploma at Commencement.  

Revision to Academic Petition Process
  • Revised University Policy

John Carroll students who wish to take courses at another institution must first consult with their advisor. Students and advisors should consult the Transfer Course Equivalency table located on the Registrar’s website to determine how the course will transfer back to John Carroll.  Submission of an academic petition is not required for pre-approval of transfer if the course equivalency listed matches the student’s degree requirements. If the other school requires a transient student permission form, the student should have the advisor sign the form.  

If the course is not listed in the Equivalency table, or if the student is requesting that the course transfer in a different manner, or for Core credit, the student must submit an online academic petition for approval before enrolling elsewhere. Course descriptions must be included in the petition. For Core and/or special designations, syllabi may be required. The permission, if given, will specify the terms under which credit will be transferred. To transfer the credit,the student must request that an official, final transcript be sent directly to the Registrar at John Carroll. Hand-delivered copies of transcripts will not be accepted. A final grade of C or better is required for transfer of credit.  Only the credits will transfer; the final grade received does not affect the student’s quality-point average at John Carroll.

Summer Graduates Participating in Spring Commencement

The Spring Commencement Ceremony signifies academic completion and merit for the year’s graduating class of students.  The following criteria will apply for allowing summer graduates to participate in the ceremony prior to the completion of all degree requirements:

  1. Undergraduate students must have no more than (9) nine remaining credit hours in order to complete their degree program.  If the course(s) needed to graduate is (are) not offered at John Carroll University during the summer, arrangements must be completed which will ensure proper transfer to the student’s degree program at John Carroll.  Summer graduates must indicate the August degree conferral date on their Graduation Application.
  2.  Students must have a 2.0 grade point average in any of the various categories in which a 2.0 average is needed for Graduation (overall, major/minor, support courses, and business courses in the case of Boler School students). The grade point average will be calculated after coursework for the spring semester has concluded and prior to the Commencement Ceremony.  The average is computed to two decimal places and truncated, not rounded.
  3.  May Commencement Ceremony participants who have not completed all degree requirements will have their Graduation Honors listed in the Commencement program according to their overall grade point average at the end of spring semester.
  4.  January graduates, those students who complete their degrees with fall coursework, are invited to participate in Commencement the following May.
Student Classification
  • Revised Policy

For purposes of class standing, requirements, eligibility, and satisfactory progress towards degree completion, degree-seeking undergraduate students are classified as follows: as FIRST-YEARstudents upon admission with proper high school  credentials until the completion of 29 credits; as SOPHOMORES upon earning at least 30 credits and until the completion of 59 credits; as JUNIORSupon earning at least 60 credits and until the completion of up to 89 credits; as SENIORS upon earning more than 90 credits and until the completion of degree requirements.

Student Responsibility

Students are ultimately responsible for knowing and abiding by John Carroll University policies, procedures, and requirements as articulated in the Bulletin.  To this end, students are encouraged to make full use of University resources for consultation and guidance.  In no case will a degree requirement be waived or an exception granted based on lack of knowledge of regulations or assertions of not being informed by University personnel.  

Transcript Notation and Conduct Letter Policy

Transcript Notations

Notations will be made on a student’s transcript for academic or conduct reasons, as described below.

  1. Minor Academic or Conduct Violations:
    For instances where a student has been placed on probation or warning for minor academic or conduct violations, no notation will appear on the transcript.
  2. Involuntary Separation:
    In instances where a student involuntarily separates from the University, a transcript notation will be used to denote the interruption or cessation in a student’s studies.
  • Suspension:
    For instances where a student has been suspended due to academic or conduct issues the following notation will appear on the transcript for the duration of the suspension and will be removed once the suspension has expired:“Suspended, Eligible to Return (term year)”

    Suspension – is defined as a temporary separation from the University due to an academic or conduct reason, for a specific period, with the option of a possible future return.  Examples include academic warnings due to a failure to meet minimum GPA requirements, academic dishonesty or serious conduct issues.
  • Dismissal:
    For instances where a student has been permanently dismissed or expelled due to  academic or conduct issues, the following notation will appear on the transcript indefinitely:Dismissed, Ineligible to Return”Dismissal – is defined as a permanent separation from the institution due to an academic or conduct reason.  Examples include final failure to meet minimum GPA requirements, severe academic dishonesty or serious conduct issues.
  1. Conduct Letter
    In instances where a student requests that a transcript be sent to another institution and the student has been suspended or dismissed from the University due to conduct violations, a conduct letter from the Dean of Students Office will accompany the transcript.  The conduct letter will include the student’s name; student identification number; transcript notation of either suspended (with date eligible to return) or dismissed; nature of conduct violation (academic or conduct) for which student was found responsible; and referral to the Dean of Students Office or other University department for additional information.
  2.  Pending Academic or Conduct Issues
    For serious pending academic or conduct matters involving a student prior to a finding of responsibility and determination of a sanction, a “Hold” will be placed on the release of a transcript until a determination as to responsibility is made and any sanction is imposed.