Skip to main content

Policies and Procedures

A graduate student at John Carroll University may transfer graduate credit earned concurrently as a transient or visiting student at another graduate school under the following conditions:

  1. Approval of the advisor, the chair of the department, and the appropriate dean is required prior to enrollment in the course or courses concerned.
  2. The ordinary maximum allowance will be the equivalence in semester hours of two comparable courses at John Carroll University.
  3. A combination of Advanced Standing and Transfer of Credit may not ordinarily exceed the equivalence in semester hours of two comparable courses at John Carroll University.
  4. Courses used to complete requirements for other degrees will not be accepted for transfer.
  5. A letter grade of B or better (which does not include B-) must be obtained in any course considered for transfer credit.
  6. Official transcripts must be submitted for all credits considered for transfer.

A Transient Petition Form must be submitted for approval before a course is taken. Click on this link to access the Academic Petition Form which will ask if you wish to submit a Transient Petition Form.

Students receiving financial aid funded by the State government or by the Federal government (Federal Stafford Unsubsidized Loan, Federal PLUS Loan, and TEACH Grant, among others) as well as John Carroll University funding, must conform to the University’s standards as outlined below. These guidelines encourage students to successfully complete courses for which aid is received.

These financial aid standards of academic progress are separate from and in addition to academic standards required by the University for continued enrollment. In order to receive financial aid at John Carroll, a student must be enrolled, be making satisfactory progress toward graduation, and remain in good academic standing. All students receiving financial aid will be reviewed at the end of each semester.

For a complete explanation of the Standards of Academic Progress (SAP) for Financial Aid procedures, please click here.

A matriculated student in good academic standing may register for an independent study as a way of enhancing a program of study by pursuing academic topics in particular depth or specialization. Independent studies culminate in a substantial written paper or other final project(s). An independent study is not typically used in lieu of a regularly offered course.

Unless otherwise stipulated by individual departments or programs, no more than six hours of any degree should be comprised of independent study credits.

Independent Study Guidelines can be downloaded here.

An independent study will not normally be approved for a student on academic probation. Only in exceptional cases will students be allowed to register for more than one independent study per semester.

Students must complete the appropriate Independent Study Contract Form, which includes the course learning goals, scope of the course, the required readings, the written assignments, how the student will be evaluated, and any other expectations on the part of the faculty member. The form must be signed by the student, the instructor, the department chairperson/program coordinator, and the appropriate dean. Departments must submit an Addition to Course Schedule form to the appropriate Graduate Studies Office before the student may register for the course.For fall semesters, all registration paperwork for independent studies must be completed and received by the Registrar's Office by the Friday before the first day of classes. For spring semesters, all registration paperwork for independent studies must be completed and received by the Registrar's Office by the Friday before the start of winter break.

The policy regarding time limit for completion of degrees has an  important academic purpose. The timing of the degree indicates the currency of the student’s knowledge and training. Full-time and part-time students are expected to complete the requirements for their degree (including thesis, essay, or creative project) within the five-year period specified in their acceptance letters.

At the conclusion of the fifth academic year, students who will not complete their degree requirements must apply for an extension of the five-year time limit. Such a request must be directed through the department chairperson/program director for the approval of the appropriate dean and must include a timetable approved by the chairperson/director. This procedure does not guarantee that an extension will be granted.

When program extensions are granted, departments/programs reserve the right to review any courses that are three or more years old and may require that the student demonstrate currency of knowledge in that area. The department also reserves the right to impose current program requirements. Students may be asked to meet other requirements imposed by the appropriate dean after consultation with the department chairperson or program director and must maintain continuous enrollment until all requirements are completed. Failure to adhere to the timetable or to meet other conditions could result in dismissal from the graduate program.

Matriculated students who are not registered for two calendar years are automatically considered inactive. If they desire to continue their degree program, they must apply for readmission and receive the approval of the appropriate dean. Readmission is not automatically granted.

Unless otherwise specified by program requirements, all candidates for the M.A., M.Ed., and M.S. degrees must pass a comprehensive examination which may be oral, written, or both, depending on program policy. This examination is held on appointed dates during the academic year or summer sessions in which the degree is to be conferred and will be applicable to the student’s work. It may cover all work taken towards the degree. The examination committee consists of not fewer than three members of the faculty. It is suggested that students consult their advisors at least a month before the beginning of the term in which they plan to take comprehensive examinations.

Students must be in good academic standing and must be in the process of completing or have completed the required coursework for the degree before the comprehensive examination may be taken. In addition, in programs that require a language, the student must have fulfilled this requirement prior to taking the comprehensive examination. Comprehensive examination results are submitted by the chair of the department or examination committee to the appropriate dean by the date specified in the University calendar.

Policy: Withdrawal from the University (from all courses for which a student is registered in a given semester) on a temporary or permanent basis involves a procedure as formal as that of registration and requires the submission of the University’s Withdrawal Form. Students are responsible for following the appropriate procedures.


1. Students who intend to completely withdraw from the University or from all of the courses in which they are enrolled in a given semester must first contact the Graduate Studies Records Manager, Terry Bradley ( who will initiate the Withdrawal Form and request approval from the associate dean.

3. An Enrollment Service Counselor will conduct an exit interview and process the student withdrawal.

Please Note:

  • When withdrawing from a course or the University, it is the students’ responsibility to notify the institution and to be aware of the posted deadlines for refunds and final withdrawal dates.
  • Notice to the instructor or continued absence from class does not constitute a withdrawal, and the only result from such action will be the assignment of the grade “WF.” To safeguard the academic record, therefore, as well as to secure any refund, the student must carry out proper withdraw procedures personally in the Student Service Center.
  • The following percentages of the charge for tuition will be refunded if obligations have been paid in full, or credited if there is a balance due. The schedule below is for the fall and spring semesters only; the refund schedule for the summer sessions is published annually in the Schedule of Summer Classes.

Within the first week of class: 100%
Within the second week of class: 67%
Within the third week of class: 33%
After the third week of class: 0%

The Withdrawal Form can be downloaded here.

Readmission to a graduate program is a formal process required of students who

  1. have not enrolled for two or more calendar years; or
  2. leave the university on academic suspension or for concerns related to professional dispositions or other disciplinary matters.

Students who completed a graduate degree at JCU and wish to be admitted into a different graduate program must complete a new application and submit all required admission materials.

Readmission Guidelines can be downloaded here.

You can complete a readmission application here.