- Acceptance into a graduate degree program
- Overall GPA of 3.0 minimum
- Expertise and experience that matches the requirements of the position
The deadline for Fall 2022 Assistantships is February 15, 2022.
The Graduate Assistantship Application will open by early Decemeber. The application includes an uploaded statement of purpose and résumé.
Transcripts: If students submitted transcripts through the Program Application for Admission, these will automatically be attached to the Graduate Assistantship Application.
It is imperative that by the February 15 deadline the applicant has also fully completed the application to a graduate studies program. This means that all application material must be received by February 15th including official transcripts, test scores, and necessary interviews, if applicable.
Shortly after February 15, all complete graduate assistantship applications will be forwarded to each department or office with available positions. Graduate assistantship applications will only be reviewed if the applicant’s program application is also complete. Interviews are normally conducted as part of the selection process. Students are welcome to apply to multiple positions with one application. As departments make decisions, students will be notified about each position via status updates to their online status page.
When an offer for a graduate assistantship is made, a recommendation for appointment is submitted to the Associate Academic Vice President. Upon approval of the appointment, a contract will be offered via the student's status page. The student must sign and return the contract to complete the appointment process.
Graduate Assistantships are meant to provide graduate students with opportunities to improve their skills in teaching and/or research and to offer practical experience while pursuing a graduate degree. Graduate students seeking assistantships should present themselves in the most favorable light and approach the process in the same way as applying for a job.
- Know what each department does before applying for an assistantship. Check the department’s website and make sure you have the necessary skills to contribute to the department.
- Read the job description carefully, keeping in mind the fit between your knowledge, skills, and abilities, and the desired qualifications of the position.
- Customize the application materials in a way that communicates a good fit for the position.
- The contents of your application will determine whether or not you are invited for an interview.
Your statement of purpose and résumé should answer the following questions:
- How do your interests, values, and skills fit the department’s mission, values, and needs?
- How does your experience fit the content knowledge required for the position?
- What strengths would help you to succeed in this position?
- How does this position fit with your professional goals and objectives?