The Role of the Principal Investigator (PI) or Project Director (PD)
In most cases, the project should not be started until the award document is processed by the Office of Sponsored Research. Once the award is processed, the Controller’s Office will set up an grant account in Banner to track the expenditures.
Once the account is set up, the PI/PD will be responsible for the following:
- Carry out the work of the project in accordance with the approved scope of work.
- Prepare and submit any required reports to agency by required due date. Failure to comply with agency reporting deadlines may jeopardize future funding.
- Ensure funds are spent in accordance with the terms of the grant (as specified in the approved grant budget), regulations regarding federally funded programs, and in accordance with John Carroll policies and procedures, including purchasing, travel, and hiring policies.
- Submit expenditures for invoices $500 or over and all salary, reimbursements, and travel expenses to the Office of Sponsored Research. Other expenditures are processed by following normal University policy.
- Notify the Office of Sponsored Research and other appropriate University departments when hiring students and other personnel.
- Keep adequate records for audit purposes.
- Notify the Director of Sponsored Research of any problems, or proposed changes in the grant project (such as budget, scope of work, partnering organizations, personnel).
- Submit a Time & Effort Report to the Office of Sponsored Research when required.
- Submit a completed Disclosure of Interests Form to the Office of Sponsored Research as required for federal awards on an annual basis.
- Notify the Office of Sponsored Research when the project is completed and the funds spent. The Office will notify the Controller’s Office to begin close out procedures.
Once your account has been set up in the Banner Finance Module, you be able to log in and check your account. If you have never had access to Banner, complete the “Banner Security Request/Access Form” or contact Catherine Anson, director of sponsored research, or Matthew Verleny, manager, endowment and grant accounts.
To have a detailed cumulative budget report emailed to you as a PDF file, use the FYRODTA form for organizational detail set to the following parameters and values. To check for the previous fiscal years, change the following lines:
|For JCU Fiscal Year 2014/15: June 1, 2014 to May 31, 2015|
|2||Chart of Accounts||C|
|3||From Organization Code||[your 6 digit ORG number]|
|4||To Organization Code||[your 6 digit ORG number]|
|5||From Fund Code||[leave blank for all]|
|6||To Fund Code||[leave blank for all]|
|7||From Account Code||[leave blank for all]|
|8||To Account Code||[leave blank for all]|
|9||From Date (DD-MON-YYYY)||1-Jun-2014|
|10||To Date (DD-MON-YYYY)||[today's date]|
|11||Include Accrual for Last Prd||Y|
|12||Print Organization Totals||Y|
To run a report of last fiscal (2013/14), use these codes:
- Line 01 Fiscal Year to 14 for Fiscal Year 2013/14
- Line 09 From Date should be 01-JUN-2013
- Line 10 To Date to 31-MAY-2014
Hit “Next Block” to click on the box at the bottom of the form that reads “Save Parameters.”
Hit the save button at the top of the screen to generate the report.
If you don’t receive a report by email within a few minutes, check the listings again to make sure you have entered everything correctly.
For help with financial reports or problems with your grant account, contact Matthew Verleny, manager, endowment and grant accounts.
- Sponsored Research Disclosure Form
- Time & Effort Form
- Time & Effort Form-Example
- Stipend (Additional Pay) Form for Grant Projects
- RCR Training Form
- Material Transfer Agreement Request
Policies and Procedures
- Sponsored Research Disclosure Policy
- Time & Effort Policy
- Policy on Hiring Grant Employees
- Policy on Hiring Student Workers
- Government Property Management Policy
- Financial Management Policy for Sponsored Projects
- Policy on Reporting for Grant Projects
- Misconduct in Scholarship & Grants Management Policy & Procedures
- Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) Policy
- Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) Procedures
- John Carroll Purchasing and Financial Management Policies
- OMB Circular A-110 a/k/a 2 CFR 215
Uniform Administrative Requirements for [Federal] Grants and Agreements with Institutions of Higher Education, Hospitals, and Other Non-Profit Organizations
- OMB Circular A-21 a/k/a 2 CFR 220
[Federal] Cost Priniciples for Educational Institutions
(see Section J for a list of selected items which cannont be charged to federal grants)