The Center for Service and Social Action believes that service activities coordinated between our office, service participants (JCU students, staff, or alumni), community partners, and service-learning faculty members are most successful when all parties involved have a clear understanding of the expectations associated with the service.
Service-learning faculty will:
- Contact CSSA at 216.397.4698 or firstname.lastname@example.org to enroll as a service-learning faculty member.
- Identify any community issues and preferred service sites or service activities relevant to your course.
- Discuss with your students your expectations, goals, and requirements for the service-learning component of your course.
- Provide your students with reflection activities or structured class discussions to give them an opportunity to share their service experiences and integrate them into the course content.
- Contact CSSA immediately should you become aware of any problem with a student’s service site.
- Communicate with CSSA about your service-learning experience.
The Center for Service and Social Action will:
- Assist faculty with service-learning course development or re-design of traditional courses.
- Suggest relevant and appropriate community partner sites and/or projects.
- Facilitate campus/community partnerships.
- Promote and publicize service-learning courses to students.
- Coordinate student service schedule, pre-service orientations and provide access to pre-requisite trainings and special testing.
- Provide transportation to and from sites.
- Track service hours for all participants enrolled through CSSA.
- Seek and respond to feedback and maintain regular contact with service participants, faculty members, and community partners.
- Conduct post-service evaluations of student service-learners.
“I feel that the students in my courses who participate in service learning develop an advanced mastery of the class material while, most importantly, further developing their identity and sense of community.” – Tracy Masterson, faculty in psychology