Skip to main content

Congratulations and welcome to John Carroll University. Thank you for choosing to be a part of our community. Whether you have chosen John Carroll to complete your master’s degree or to take a class for personal enrichment, we are pleased to aid in your transition to graduate study. Be sure to check out the information on our website.

Don’t be afraid to visit us in the Graduate Studies Office! We look forward to having you on campus!

Dates to Remember:

  • May 1: Orientation available on Canvas for summer and fall starts
  • August 26: New graduate student social event
  • September 2: Fall semester begins

Below is some useful information as you get started.


New student orientation is online. You will have the ability to make your way through orientation at your own pace and on your own schedule. The orientation will be a mixture of videos, PowerPoints, and handouts to get you started and allow you to look back whenever you need them!

Contact/Meet Your Advisor

Within your acceptance letter, you will find the name and contact information of your advisor. Please contact your advisor as soon as possible for help planning your schedule and registering for the first time.

Registration – For first time registration only

You will meet with your advisor to discuss course selections, and together, you will decide which classes to register for. New graduate students are required to register for the first time through the Graduate Studies Office. Another alternative is to have your advisor email the Graduate Studies Office. Subsequent registration may be done directly by you online or in person.

Campus Network Log-ins and Passwords: Email/Banner/Canvas

After you register for the first time, the University system will generate a letter with all of your single sign-on information for the network, JCU email, Banner, and Canvas information. This letter is created 24 hours after you register for the first time and will be mailed to you via post. If you are a returning John Carroll student, you will need to contact the Help Desk directly at 216.397.3005 in order to reactivate your password.

Campus Email

Please use your John Carroll Gmail account regularly since this will be the primary means of communication with the University. If you prefer to use your personal email account, please have your JCU email forwarded to that account. If you have any questions/concerns when signing in to your account, contact the Information Technology Services Help Desk at 216.397.3005.


As a member of the John Carroll University community, you will have secure access to your own registration, academic (including grade reports), and financial information via the University’s Banner Web system. You will be required to use your single sign-on user name and password (The same one you use to gain access to the computers on campus). Your user name will be the same as your John Carroll e-mail account without the It should be the first letter of your first name followed by your last name and the two digits of your presumed graduation date.


Canvas is the Course Management System used at John Carroll. Most instructors use this system to keep track of information related to your course, such as, assignments, grades, attendance, and announcements. Your log-in information is the same log-in information as Banner and campus computers. Canvas will be used as a part of our new online orientation.


You will receive your tuition bills via JCU e-mail. Acceptable forms of payment are personal check, money order, or cashier’s check. The Office of the Bursar is available to address all questions regarding student financial accounts. All bills can be paid through the financial section in Banner.


The following percentages of the charge for tuition will be refunded if obligations have been paid in full, or credited if there is a balance due. The schedule below is for the fall and spring semesters only; the refund schedule for the summer sessions is published annually in the Schedule of Summer Classes.

  • Within the first week of class: 100%
  • Within the second week of class: 67%
  • Within the third week of class: 33%
  • After the third week of class: 0%

parking web-based Banner reservation system is the online source for purchasing a permit. You must register for and purchase the permit online using a credit card. Parking permits are required for the fall and spring semesters; summer is free.

Link to Parking Page for pricing.

Click here to purchase your permit.

You can print your temporary parking permit, which is valid for the first week of class only. During the first week, please stop over in Campus Safety Services to pick up the actual permit. The Campus Safety Services is located in room 14 of the Recplex.

Student ID

To obtain a student ID, bring your driver’s license or photo ID to the Carroll Card office in room AD12 of the Administration Building between 8:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. or 1 – 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Your first ID is free, however, replacement cards cost $25. For more information visit the Carroll Card website or call 216.397.4961.

Uses for your ID card:

  • Serves as your JCU Grasselli Library Card.
  • Gives you access to the various JCU athletic facilities.
  • Money can be placed on the card for use in the bookstore, cafeteria, In-Between, and at the various vending machines on campus.
Register for JCU Alert

JCU Alert is the Emergency Notification System with a text messaging service that will instantly and simultaneously distribute brief messages in situations posing imminent physical threats to the university community. It will also notify you via text of closing due to weather or power outages. Register here.

Ordering Books

The Course Schedule link includes an additional link detailing the required book for every class. Once you select a specific “see required book,” you will be able to see the title, the ISBN, and even check the book’s availability in the JCU Bookstore. The bookstore is located in the Lombardo Student Center.

Helpful Offices

Student Accessibility Services
Students who have a disability have the right to timely reasonable accommodation of that disability in order to receive the same opportunity for success as students who do not have a disability. John Carroll University supports and adheres to the requirements set forth in both the American with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Eligibility for accommodation is determined on an individual basis. For more information visit the Student Accessibility Services website or call 216.397.4967.

Office of Financial Aid
The Office of Financial Aid is available to answer questions regarding loan disbursements, loan deferrals, and questions regarding the filing of your FAFSA. For specific information regarding your own specific situation, please be sure to have completed your FAFSA and to have been accepted to a program.

Office of Residence Life
John Carroll University offers limited on-campus housing for graduate students, available through the Office of Residence Life. Undergraduates have priority as to on-campus housing; housing is very limited. There are also a number of apartment complexes owned by the university surrounding Fairmount Circle, which are within walking distance to campus.