Come join the French Club – Le Cercle Français – at JCU! We are planning many excursions and events for you including:
- A visit to the Cleveland Museum of Art to see the French Collections!
- Meeting late afternoons or evenings for “un peu de café et de conversation.”
- Field trips to sites of French interest.
- Viewing French films.
- “Les Boums” – parties and other social get-togethers!
- Information sessions on Spring Break trips to Paris or Québec (open to all).
- Volunteer peer tutoring for JCU students.
O’Malley Center 133
Ms. Keiko Nakano
O’Malley Center 145
National Honor Societies
The French Section of the Department of Classical and Modern Languages and Cultures cordially invites all eligible students to apply for membership in Pi Delta Phi, National French Honor Society, Kappa Eta Chapter, at John Carroll University. The purpose of this Chapter is two-fold:
- To honor those who attain excellence in the study of the French language and in the study of the literature and culture of the French-speaking peoples.
- To encourage University students to acquire a greater interest in and a deeper understanding of French culture in France and its impact in the French-speaking countries.
Regular membership is open to students who meet the requirements. Membership applications are available each February, and induction ceremonies are usually scheduled for March.
O’Malley Center 124
Pi Lambda Chapter, John Carroll University
The Spanish Section of the Department of Classical and Modern Languages and Cultures cordially invites all eligible students to apply for membership in Sigma Delta Pi, the National Spanish Honor Society, John Carroll University Chapter. The purpose of this Chapter is two-fold:
- To honor those who attain excellence in the study of the Spanish language and in the study of the literature and culture of the Spanish-speaking peoples.
- To encourage University students to acquire a greater interest in and a deeper understanding of Spanish culture in Spain and in other Spanish-speaking countries.
Regular membership is open to sophomores, juniors, seniors, and graduate students who meet the requirements. Membership applications are available each February, and induction ceremonies are generally scheduled in March. Moderator:
O’Malley Center 143
Requirements for membership are:
- Each candidate must have completed three years of study of college-level Spanish (18 semester credit hours) or the equivalent thereof, including at least three semester hours of a course in Hispanic literature or civilization/culture at the junior (third-year) level.
- Candidates must rank in the upper 35 percent of their class—sophomore, junior, or senior—and must have completed at least three semesters or five quarters of college work. If rank in class is not available, a cumulative grade point average of a minimum of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale may be substituted for it in determining the eligibility of each candidate.
- The candidate for active membership must have a minimal grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 point scale in all Spanish courses taken.
- A student may be admitted to active membership while still enrolled in the required Hispanic literature or civilization/culture course (see #1) if all other requirements have been met and if the instructor of the course certifies that the student’s work is of at least “B” quality.
- Membership shall not be denied to any student because of their race, creed, or color, nor shall any students be admitted to membership on the basis of their race, creed, or color.
- Graduate students may be admitted to active membership if they fulfill the above requirements.