Admission to John Carroll University
Candidates can be considered for the scholarship only if they have been admitted to John Carroll University. Information about admission to John Carroll University is available at https://jcu.edu/admission
Requirements for Completing the Castellano Scholarship Application
1. Complete the online application found here: Castellano Scholarship Application. To complete the application, you will need the name and email address of your high school Latin teacher who will proctor your exam. You will also be asked to include a personal statement about your interest in majoring in the classics, your future career goals, and your views on how a classics major may help you in reaching those career goals. Incomplete forms will not be accepted. Deadline: February 1, 2021
2. A letter of recommendation from your Latin or Greek teacher or from a school administrator supporting your application. This letter can be sent either electronically or in hard copy, but it must come directly from the recommender. Deadline: February 1, 2021.
3. The taking of the standardized written examination:
Applicants will take a Latin exam at their own school under the proctoring of a Latin instructor, whose name and email address must be included in your application. The exam must be returned to John Carroll by Monday, February 22, 2021.
4. Finalists will be invited to John Carroll for a one-hour interview during the month of March. The name of the recipient of the award will be announced by the end of March.
5. All material and questions should be directed to:
Gwen Compton-Engle, Ph.D.
Department of Classical & Modern Languages & Cultures
John Carroll University
1 John Carroll Boulevard
University Heights, Ohio 44118
Letters of recommendation and exam materials may be submitted through email or U.S. mail, but should come directly from the teacher.