Skip to main content

Relationships with friends, parents, family members, roommates, classmates, and significant others may change for students in college. You may find that your BFF since Kindergarten is interested in new things and people, and your high school sweetheart has found someone new. Your first-year roommate may become a great friend or someone you loathe, and your mom may prove to be a wonderful listener and confidante, while your dad just doesn’t seem to understand.

Recognize strong, healthy relationships, and embrace and foster those, and either enhance or terminate relationships that do not support your well-being or success as a student. Students concerned about being in an unhealthy relationship are encouraged to:

Most students feel a strong connection to the place they call home. Home is familiar, and our routines at home tend to be comfortable and predictable. When we move away from home or are placed in a new environment or situation, we might become uneasy or homesick. Most colleges students – especially first-year students – may experience homesickness at one time or another, and it is important to note that homesickness can occur at any time. A student who feels homesick might feel:

  • Anxious about being away from parents, guardians, friends, siblings, or even pets.
  • Anxious about doing well in college and meeting new people.
  • Lonely or isolated.
  • That everyone but me seems to be adjusting and having fun.
  • Depressed or sad.
  • Unmotivated to attend class, study, make friends, or even eat.
  • A constant thought about home.

The most important things to remember about homesickness is that you are not alone, and there are resources to help:

  • HomeBuddies is a program the office of Health Promotion and Wellness holds each fall in residence halls to help residents create connections with one another. Students are also welcome to attend programs in other residence halls if they can not attend their own. If you would like more information on when these programs will be please contact the office at or 216-397-1973.
  • Resident Advisors are fabulous resources on campus. Your RA is familiar with students who have expressed homesickness, and understand the demands of being a college student. Talk to your RA for support.
  • The University Counseling Center is resource for any student who may feel the feelings of homesickness are persistent.

Link to Health Center Page on testing