Mathematics at John Carroll University
Our Mathematics program will give you a broad background in all major areas of mathematics. At the same time, you’ll have the flexibility to add the minor or concentration that meets your career objectives. Many math majors earn one or two minors in areas such as Computer Science, Data Science, Actuarial Science, or Statistics.
Here, you’ll develop the ability to think analytically while solving hard problems; you’ll deepen your skills and broaden future possibilities. Our students:
- Develop in-depth, integrated knowledge in algebra, geometry, and analysis
- Communicate mathematical ideas and present mathematical arguments both in writing and orally using proper use of mathematical notation and terminology
- Distinguish coherent mathematical arguments from fallacious ones, and construct complete formal arguments of previously seen or closely related results
- Be able to give complete solutions to previously seen or closely related problems. AND be able to use definitions, theorems, and techniques learned to solve problems you have not seen before
- Synthesize material from multiple perspectives and make connections with other areas
- Use technology appropriate to each topic
Everything about JCU’s approach to education enriches your experience. Through small classroom groups, one-on-one research settings, and a semester-long capstone class, you’ll develop mentors and friends, rise above challenges, and thrive in a highly supportive environment.