The Student Accessibility Services office provides a broad range of services to make academic life as smooth as possible for students with disabilities. Since the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 guarantee equal access, not success, individual success is up to each student. We encourage students to develop self-advocacy, empowerment, responsibility, independence, personal growth, and develop and use compensatory skills.
Students should request services via the following steps:
- Download the Application for SAS, complete and send form along with documentation to SAS.
- Collect all previous documentation (testing, assessment, medical records, and letters from physicians) that documents your disability and how it impacts your education. Submit this with your application for review.
- You will be contacted by SAS for an intake appointment once your application and documentation is received and reviewed.
- You may call SAS at 216-397-4967 to check on the status of your file or schedule the intake appointment.
- Apply and be accepted for admission at JCU. Students go through standard admission procedures and must enroll in classes to be eligible for consideration.
- Complete an application for SAS eligibility and return it along with documentation following SAS written guidelines.
- Once all paperwork is received, the file will be reviewed by the SAS Director. Students should schedule an appointment with the SAS Director to discuss their case and review any approved accommodations.
- New students are encouraged to apply for services at least 30 days prior to the semester in which they desire accommodations to allow SAS to process and review documentation.
- Outdated or incomplete documentation may delay approval. Please review documentation guidelines and ensure all necessary paperwork is complete before your appointment. If you have questions regarding your documentation or are considering being tested for a disability you are welcome to contact our office to discuss your case.
- The SAS Director will determine which, if any, accommodations may be made and will have review this with the student during the initial appointment.
A student is not considered registered with SAS until they have completed all application paperwork, approved intake/registration paperwork, and have had an appointment with the SAS Director.
Students requesting accommodations from JCU must submit CURRENT documentation of their disability. Guidance for obtaining appropriate documentation corresponds with federal guidelines and has been provided by the Association on Higher Education and Disability (AHEAD). Documentation costs are the responsibility of the student. SAS can provide appropriate professional referrals.
Additional information about appropriate documentation can be found here:
Welcome! Our staff is committed to helping you succeed at JCU. We can tell you about University resources that may be available to you, and help you determine if you are eligible for services from our office. SAS provides services to students currently enrolled at the University. In order to qualify for services, a student must send us general information as well as disability documentation from a healthcare professional. For details, see the links below.
Letters of Accommodation
Your letters of accommodation will be emailed to you directly once you’ve completed an LOA request. Please remember that you are in charge of taking a copy (print from email) or forwarding (via email) a copy of your Letter of Accommodation (LOA) and the exam procedures form to all professors. You WILL NOT begin receiving accommodations until you’ve personally made contact with your professors and provided them with a copy of your LOA. You cannot change any part of your LOA. If something appears incorrect please notify SAS immediately and we will resolve it.
Our office is here to help and guide students with disabilities through their college experience. If there is an area in which you are experiencing difficulty please make an appt. to see us right away. Have a wonderful semester and we look forward to serving you during the school year.
- Eligibility & Registering for Services
- Documentation Requirements
- Student Rights and Responsibilities
- SAS Policy Manual
- Testing Procedure