Choose Ohio First Scholars at John Carroll University
John Carroll University students pursuing science and technology majors are eligible to apply for Choose Ohio First Scholarships. These scholarships, funded through a grant from the Ohio Department of Higher Education and John Carroll University, will help support, educate, and graduate academically-driven STEMM* students for emerging regional markets in healthcare, biotechnology, and other science-based industries. The Building an Innovation Pipeline Program reflects JCU’s commitment to inclusion, social justice, and leadership in our region and around the world by providing all students the opportunity to be successful in high-demand STEMM* disciplines.
*STEMM = Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, and Medicine
Priority application deadline is December 1, 2019
Applications will be considered through March 1, 2020
Scholarship amount: $3,640
For more information, please email us at email@example.com.
THE BUILDING AN INNOVATION PIPELINE PROGRAM
Our program complements existing institutional efforts promoting student success and reflects JCU’s commitment to the Jesuit ideals of social justice, knowledge in action, and cura personalis, care for the whole person. We connect our students to local STEMM employers, including research institutes and universities, industrial world headquarters, museums, and arboreta.
- A series of 0 credit cohort advising courses for all Choose Ohio First students that will support them throughout their time at JCU, aiding in college transition, major declaration, career development, and degree completion;
- A 1 credit “Entering Research” course to help Choose Ohio First scholars prepare for and participate in research experiences at JCU and beyond;
- Increased promotion of and access to campus academic and support services;
- STEMM-specific activities integrated into JCU’s student orientation and move-in week;
- Leadership training to help students develop the skills necessary for STEMM innovation.
The Choose Ohio First Scholarship is designed to strengthen Ohio’s competitiveness within Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, and Medicine (STEMM). Students must be Ohio residents intending to major in a STEMM discipline. An application is required, and recipients are required to maintain a 3.0 overall GPA and a 3.0 STEMM GPA.
All Choose Ohio First Scholars must be incoming students and:
- residents of Ohio;
- accepted by the JCU Admission Office as an undergraduate student;
- intending to major in the following STEMM* departments/majors: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics & Computer Science, Healthcare IT, Physics, Exercise Science, Psychology with a Neuroscience Concentration, and Pre-Health.
Competitive incoming first-year applicants will have a minimum 3.5 high school overall grade point average and 26 Math ACT score or 590 Math SAT score.
*STEMM = Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, Medicine
We are seeking peer mentors for John Carroll University’s Choose Ohio First Scholarship program. Peer mentors will guide students as they navigate social and academic life on campus during their time at JCU. Peer mentors will also participate in special Choose Ohio First events. They will work with Scholars for 1 to 2 hours each week during fall and spring semesters by participating in regular cohort activities, sharing their own experience, and offering guidance on study skills, time management, semester and career path planning, and life beyond the classroom. Mentors will be paid a fixed hourly rate and in bi-weekly installments throughout the course of the semester.
- Enrolled full time as a declared STEMM major (for junior and senior applicants) or making sufficient progress toward a STEMM major (for sophomore applicants);
- Spent a minimum of 2 semesters as a full-time student at JCU;
- Available to work August 2020 – May 2021 on all mandatory dates (including late summer orientations and Streak Week) and 1-2 hours weekly during fall and spring semesters;
- 3.0 or higher overall and STEMM GPA before and during employment;
- Active engagement in student activities;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Energetic and enjoy working with people.
- Experience in STEMM related internships and research.
STEMM majors at JCU include all degree programs offered through the following departments: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics & Computer Science, and Physics, as well as Exercise Science and Psychology with a Neuroscience Concentration.
DEADLINE to apply: April 22, 2020